Youth @ BIFF
Film Workshop For Teens
The Beloit International Film Festival is proud to announce our Third Annual Student Filmmaker Showcase as part of the 2014 BIFF schedule.
Tomorrow’s Steven Spielberg is probably today’s Stateline area middle school or high school student, and the Beloit International Film Festival wants to help launch her or his career.
Seven Workshops Beginning Nov. 9th
Beginning Nov. 9, BIFF will present seven free film workshops for students in grades 6 through 12 at the Beloit and Hedberg Public Libraries. The workshops will teach students how to make a film, from script to screen. They will also get the participants started on actually making a film that can be submitted for review and recognition at the BIFF 2014 Student Filmmakers Showcase.
The workshops are produced in cooperation with the Beloit Public Library and will be led by Drywater Productions, a film company owned and operated by Stephen and Cameron Pickering, professional filmmakers from Janesville, whose films have been showcased at BIFF. Joining them in the hands-on production phase of the workshops is JATV, Janesville’s local public access channel that provides award-winning programs and video equipment training.
Middle School & High School Students Invited
Workshops are open to all area middle school and high school students. With the skills learned in these workshops, the students can then practice filmmaking skill at after-school workshops at the studios of JATV at the Hedberg Public Library in Janesville. Buses from Beloit Memorial High School will be provided for students needing transportation.
Film and video are the media with which today’s young people are most comfortable in expressing themselves. Last year, 18 students completed the workshops and a number of them submitted work to the student Filmmaker Showcase. They had a chance to demonstrate their skills and to meet and question professional filmmakers on hand for BIFF. It was a great experience and may have just set a few of them on a career path.
Four Months, Four Workshops
– Sat Nov. 9th | 12:00-2:30 p.m. | “Developing the Story” | Beloit Public Library
– Wed Nov 13th | 4:00-6:30 p.m. | Filmmaking Practice”| JATV/Hedberg Public Library*
– Sat Nov 16th | 12:00-2:30 p.m. | “Rules of Filmmaking” | Beloit Public Library
– Wed Nov 20th | 4:00-6:30 p.m. | Filmmaking Practice | JATV/Hedberg Public Library*
– Sat Nov 23rd | 12:00 – 2:30 p.m. | “Lighting and Sound” | Beloit Public Library
– Wed Nov 27th | 4:00 – 6:30 p.m. | Filmmaking Practice | JATV/Hedberg Public Library*
– Sat Nov 30th | 12:00 – 2:30 p.m. | “The Edit” | Beloit Public Library
– Fri Jan 24th | Film Submissions Due
– Sat Feb 15th | Student Filmmaker Showcase | Domenicos
– Thu Feb 20th | Awards Presentation – 2014 Biffy Awards Ceremony | Eclipse Center
* Buses from Beloit Memorial provided
Beloit Public Library (605 Eclipse Blvd. Beloit)
Hedberg Public Library (316 Main Street, Janesville)
Eclipse Center (Riverside and Henry Ave. Beloit)
COST | FREE
*NOTE: 2014 BIFFY Awards Ceremony: Each participating film gets two complementary tickets. All others, $10.00 adults / $5.00 students
The Neese Family Foundation, The Beloit Foundation
Dorothy E. Bigelow Charitable Trust
Students who wish to participate need to register by Friday, Nov. 1. Student’s interest and information should be emailed to Kristin@beloitfilmfest.org
Note: This is an editable PDF. You may
- Fill it out online and submit to: BIFF@drywaterproductions.com
- Print it out, fill it out and mail to:
Beloit International Film Festival
444 E. Grand Avenue
Beloit, WI 53511
For more information: Stephen Pickering at BIFF@drywaterproductions.com